Underrated Holidays

I had to work in the Labor and Delivery suite last night, ensuring that my zero for twenty four streak on Valentine's Day continued.It's hard not to feel bad for all the baby girls who were born before midnight; they are doomed to a life of getting dumped at the beginning of February so their boyfriends won't have to get them two presents.

The bottom line is Valentine's day is about money and marketing, and not at all about love. There is nothing genuine about cheesy chocolates in anatomically incorrect heart shaped boxes.

I suggest we take it to the card companies and abolish Valentine's day, and instead promote one of these underrated holidays.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day- Yes, I know MLK day is currently "observed" nationally, mainly by people skipping work. But does anyone really celebrate the life of this great visionary who made his dreams a reality? In honor of this man, we should each try to make our own dreams become real on this special day.

I attempted to start this year, but couldn't convince both Rani Mukherjee AND Sheri Shepherd to play strip poker with me and Abe Lincoln.
See you ladies next January 15th!


Martin Luther King Sr. Day- Why should Junior get all the credit? We should also give some props to the man who gave birth and raised a visionary by leading through example. In honor of MLK Sr., every year on his birthday I try to have a child that will one day change the world.

Last Day of Lent- Every year, millions of people give up a vice in order to better themselves, and then, forty days later, agree that the right thing to do is pick that said vice back up. While I don't celebrate Lent, I do celebrate the last day, where I add a new bad habit. This year: shopping addiction!!!

Mars Day- Holidays like Arbor Day, where people plant trees, and Earth Day, where people celebrate the virility of Mother Earth, are quickly gaining popularity as hipsters slowly take over the world. But the Earth has limited resources, and it is only a matter of time before it is uninhabitable. Instead of celebrating a dying planet, I am going to start planning for my future and celebrating our eventual home: Mars, by eating Mars candy bars and watching the 1996 Pierce Brosnon film Mars Attacks!.